Friday, January 15, 2010

Show us your Life: Weight Loss, Diet Tips, Workout Ideas

My sisters are probably cracking up reading this because I have never been one to be serious about "working out." I've been very lucky and never really struggled with my weight (other than in college) but I work out for other reasons. Other than wanting to feel good, I have a bad back. Working out is the only thing that has kept my back in good shape and I notice that when I drop the ball on going to the gym, I start to hurt.
I'm very lucky and have a good friend, Whitey, who has a love for fitness. He used to be a personal trainer and just has a knack for all things health related. So he built a plan for me based on what I need to do to achieve my goals (fight fat, build
muscle and keep my back in shape.)
My Workout Plan-
Let me say, I've come up with every excuse not to work out! Truth be told, this is my daily motivation:
-I live in Dallas where it's swimsuit season 5 months out of the year.
-Working out keeps my back in shape better than medicine ever did.
-If I don't work out, I either become skinny flab or I gain weight and get a puffy face. And the puffy face/skinny calves combo does not cute on me!
I love the feeling I get after I work out and I love seeing change in my body. Plus, I know I'll regret if I don't.
Whitey told me to lift heavy weights 2-4x a week. I usually do 2 sets of 10-12 reps. The last 2 reps are HARD!! I lift at home b/c the weight room at the gym scares me and I think I look weird when I work out. (And if I have the weights at home, then there is no excuse to skip my work out!) I alternate between upper and lower body so I end up lifting both areas 1-2x a week. It depends on how my back feels and how sore I am.
I do cardio 3x a week for 30 minutes each session. And I really DO NOT LIKE cardio. But I have a new found love with the treadmill. I love walking on an incline b/c you burn more calories and tone your legs on top of getting the benefits of cardio. It's like a 2 in 1 workout!
Diet- Protein helps build muscle so I eat a lot of it. In the summer, dinner is often fish, brown rice and steamed veggies. I really like to cook and I spend a lot of time looking for healthy recipes.
Pirate's Booty is my favorite snack and apples, grapes, cottage cheese, and nuts are filling and healthy "mini meals". A great snack is cottage cheese and sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon. YUM!!
My diet is hardly perfect...I have a weakness for Diet Coke, I drink alcohol, and if I see 100 Grand candy bar, I'm eating it. Tex-Mex is my favorite food group. :o) I have an abnormal love for lemon bars, lemon cookies, lemon cupcakes (anything lemon basically) and if I gain a pound or two over it, then I'm fine with that. It's worth it!
These are some other tips Whitey gave me:
- Trade in your "whites" for whole grains. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, etc.
-Lift heavy and do fewer reps. You'll build more lean muscle and don't worry about getting big. Women don't have the hormones for that. (And if ya'll do get big, I know where he lives!!)
-Eat something every 3-4 hours even if it's just a piece of fruit or granola bar. This will keep your metabolism up and prevent binging later.
- Use your time in front of the tv. Do abs, stretch, get on an exercise bike if you have one.
- Park far away from your destination. It sounds silly but if you can't get to the gym, then try to walk as much as you can that day.
- Drink as many ounces of water as at least half your weight per day. Drink it throughout the day to remain hydrated.
-Avoid dieting. Make lifestyle changes.
-Be realistic. If you eat a cookie, your day is not ruined. Instead, eat a healthier dinner or add 5 minutes to your workout.
-Be honest with yourself. Write things down to keep track of your workouts and eating habits. Calorie Counter is a free website where you can track your calories and workouts. I used it last year to get in shape for my best friend's wedding and it was great!
-Don't get obsessed with the scale. Pay attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit.
I hope this gives ya'll ideas! Thanks for stopping by. :o

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of your tips! I just found your blog through Kelly's Korner. Since Jan. 1st I've been on a mission to get control of shedding the pounds. So far so good. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Emily
    www.timelesspaper.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandi’s Classic chandeliers are reminiscent of the old world tradition of lighting. The shapes themselves are reproductions of vintage chandeliers and Meredith’s original designs based on certain elements, particular to this style of Contemporary Lighting, that have inspired her.

    ReplyDelete