Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Importance of Deodorant

This morning I was quite proud when I found myself walking into the gym at 9:05am thinking I was going to avoid the "rush"...and ya'll today I almost passed out by the time I got to the front desk. When did people stop wearing deodorant?!? And who told them this was okay?!? Now I realize I'm a little paranoid about smells. I mean, I carry deodorant in my purse!! (It's my worst fear in life to be the girl who doesn't smell good...hence the deodorant in the purse.) And I think it's absolutely appaling that Matthew McCounaghey hasn't worn deodorant in 20 years. The man lost major hotness points with me when he mentioned that in an interview. So yes, I do realize I'm a little sensitive to this situation.
Anyway, back to the point...the whole point of working out early (other than to avoid talking myself out of working out completely) is to avoid the bad odor that seems to accumulate at the gym over the course of the day. I don't really enjoy sweat odor...or I should say (since I don't think anyone really enjoys it) that sometimes the odor gets to me more than other times. And seriously, every gym seems to smell sweaty...no matter how well ventilated they are.
Now please note, I do realize my gym is called 24 Hour Fitness. So I know people are working out at all hours of the day there...literally. It's probably not really ever "empty." But I would think the early morning rush would be well over by 9am therefore giving the space time to refresh! Well guess what. I think every other unemployed person in the metroplex also decided to work out around 9am because this morning it was b-u-s-y. OR everyone else working out at that hour just has the luxury of getting to the office after 9. Maybe I should ask them where they work...
Anyway, this morning it was more crowded than it used to be when I went after work. And you know what that means. It smells the exact same at 9am as it does at 5:30pm!! I know what you're asking (yes, I can hear you) "why not go later in the morning Jen?" Well guess what...I have also tried going at 11am. And that's no good because it's "Children's Hour." Have you ever witnessed a child almost getting injured by the eliptical?? There's no experience quite like it.
There has GOT to be a solution to this. I guess I could drown myself in perfume and deodorant but then I'd be that girl who puts on way too much perfume to go to the gym and I definitely don't want to be that girl. Plus, too much perfume gives me a headache so that's not really benefitting me. Has anyone else experienced this problem?? Hmmm...I wonder if I'm super sensitive to smell since I haven't been able to smell anything for the past week.
I'm starting a movement. Please ya'll, whatever you do, do not forget to put on your deodorant before leaving your house! If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for the people who love you. And the people working out on the machine next to you at the gym. Here's hoping for an odorless adventure tomorrow!!

3 comments:

  1. Funny that you post this now...

    I had a similar experience, but with the perfume-drenched girl you briefly referred to. I ran next to a girl who must have been coming from the President's Ball (I don't know what that is, but it sounds like a place where girls would wear a lot of perfume?). She literally ran for about 3 minutes (as long as any perfume-drenched girl can run, I suppose) and by the time she left, I could taste her perfume in my mouth and almost had to get off the machine because I felt slightly dizzy.

    So, to all you people out there- wear deodorant and go easy on the perfume.

    Maybe I should think about starting my own blog...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen- I was just catching up on reading your blog and I think you should consider a career in writing- maybe a column like SJP- you are funny and insightful and always a pleasure to read- and you are a lot cuter than she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! When I first started reading this post I said to myself when is she going to mention the deodorant in her purse?! It only took to line 6 ;o)

    ReplyDelete