Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

I feel pretty selfish and petty after focusing on myself yesterday when what I should've done is focus on the devastation that Haiti is facing right now.
We all have our problems, we know that. And for the most part, we can be prepared for anything. But how do you prepare yourself for a catastrophic event, such as a 7.0 magnitude earthquake? I was looking at pictures on cnn.com today and the visible damage is absolutely heartbreaking. What do you do when there's actually nothing you can do to prepare for something?
My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Haiti, the brave and selfless men and women who are helping them, the armed forces who are trying to get to them and everyone else who has stopped for even a minute during the day to pray for relief.
I saw this on another blog and wanted to pass along the info.
If you'd like to donate $10 to the Red Cross, text "Haiti" to 90999. The amount will show up on your next phone bill.
Another blogger has set up a website, hope-for-haiti. Please take a look if you get a minute during the day.
Otherwise, please pray for relief for the nation of Haiti, for the relief workers, and for everyone else who is trying to help in some way. I don't normally ask people to pray, but I think this is one moment we can all take a minute and be grateful for what we have and pray for those who don't have anything. Literally, anything.
I don't mean to bring ya'll down by talking about such a serious topic! It just amazes me to see the things we are able to survive. And I think it's even more amazing to watch strangers come together and provide such selfless acts for other people they don't even know. People can be really fabulous when they want to be, can't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment