Thursday, October 11, 2012

Blessings

So many times (if not ALL the time) we, as a whole, focus on the negative rather than the positive.  It's a sad reality.  We're told not to feel sorry for ourselves, to be strong, to be positive but at 31 years old, I don't think I've ever been asked "what's right?" as opposed to "what's wrong?"  In fact, the question "what's right" just sounds odd.
Yesterday, I watched the live stream of Matt Turner's funeral.  Is it weird since I've never even met him?  Or his wife?  Or anyone who personally knows him?  Yes, it is.  But my heart literally aches for the Turner family and I, more than anything, wanted to see how Julee was.
To say his eulogies were heartwarming doesn't explain it.  To see Julee made me feel better.  She looked peaceful.  It's clear how well liked Matt was and you could tell she was proud to be called the love of his life.  He was only a year older than me...for a man his age to have such a positive impact on others makes me want to be a better person. 
SO, IN LIGHT of Matt Turner's passing, I'm going to dedicate one post a week to what's right in my life, rather than what's wrong.  In his honor, for those who have loved him, and for others who have passed much too soon,  I am going to make a bullet list of the good that has happened that week rather than the bad. 
Please join me!  On facebook, on your own blog, on twitter, whatever.  It can be silly stuff, serious stuff, it doesn't matter.  Let's focus on the good rather than the bad.  I'll start...
**I saved $25 at Tom Thumb yesterday.  That's a new shirt!
**I donated to 3 different animal shelters this week.  I love that I can help in different ways.
**I cooked for the first time since my "accident!!"  French Onion Soup was the perfect choice :o)
**Cold weather is great for my back.  Humidity is not, but I'll take humidity over 100 degrees any day!
**My friend Andrea had a baby girl yesterday.  I LOVE having all these babies to spoil!!
**We had potluck at work today and I like that 25 of us can sit and visit. "My" team is awesome.
**People at work are always asking me how I'm doing.  It warms my heart that people care. 
**I've laughed every single day this week.
**My boss trusted me with her credit card today (for the potluck.)  We joke a lot but it feels great to be trusted.  (Especially since the Galleria is right down the street!)
**Sissy is wagging her tail and acting like a dog.  She's even barked once or twice.  Melts. My. Heart.
**I truly love that I can talk to my sisters and my bff (who all live out of state) like I saw them yesterday.
**Matt's funeral makes me want to leave notes for my loved ones in case something happens.  It's a terrible thought but to see the peace on Julee's face (since Matt left notes to her and his mom) may make it my weekend project soon. 

What good has happened to you this week?  What have you done?  What has someone done for you?

**If this becomes popular, I'll create a linky thing.  If not, that's okay.  I'm still gonna do the once a week post!

2 comments: