Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Story

I have never been more relieved in my life.  Really, truly, and utterly RELIEVED.
Grateful :o)
Lucy's story (from my pespective):
I talked to Rekka, a friend and one of the DT6 reps, Monday morning around 11.  I called to ask her a question about Lexi (my current foster) and she was on her way to check on a Lucy lead.  Truth be told, I didn't think much of it.  There have been a bunch of them over the past few months (most I'm probably not even aware of) so I just took this one with a grain of salt. 
45 minutes later, JP, the DT6 President, was calling me.  I don't think I even said "hello."  I think I just picked up the phone and said "Ohmigod.  Was it her??"
Miracle of all miracles, Lucy was in the back of a squad car when Rekka arrived to the call site.  Here are the details posted on Facebook:
From one of Lucy's rescuers, DPD Officer Maria Gutierrez:
"I spotted Lucy sitting in front of a house [on] Empire Central. We had just read the flyer posted at Starbucks by Lovefield & I have been keeping up with all of th emails that your forward to me. We talked to the owner of the house & she told us the dog was a stray ...that showed up 2 months ago & she gave us some hot dog weenies to get the dog close to us. I was able to get close enough to read her collar & was soooo excited, but then Lucy took off running. After a brief foot & car chase, we then called for cover & with the help of the NW patrol officers listed below, were able to catch Lucy & put her in the back of the squad car. My partner Gloria called Amy Brewer [who contacted Lt. Kimberly Stratman] & she was able to get the contact info for the owner from Lucy's Facebook page.
The owner arrived to the location & was almost in tears & was very thankful.
There are so many of us who prayed for this day. So many of us who wished for it.  I won't lie, I lost hope.  My prayers went from "God, please bring her back" to "God, please keep her safe, healthy and happy wherever she may be."
At the vet with my girl.  I was incredibly selfish and stayed by her the entire time.  I couldn't not be near her.

I started crying when I talked to JP and the rest of the phone calls, text messages and facebook comments had me in tears for the remainder of the day.  THANK GOD I was working from home!
I don't really know who reads this blog, but if you, in any way, helped bring Lucy home, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. 
Lucy was gone for 78 days.  (The most classic response I got to that statistic was from my friend Sheree who said "that's longer than Kim Kardashian's marriage!!")
This has been a long and stressful 78 days.  I tried not to talk about it.  And I tried not to think about it.  But the fact that she's home still brings me to tears 48 hours later. (HOW DO I HAVE ANY LEFT?!?) 
I am forever grateful for my DT6 family.  They understand the torture of losing a pet.  (And yes ya'll, it IS torture.)  Not once did anyone blame me.  Not once did anyone say anything bad to me.  This group has been nothing but supportive, loving and hopeful.  They've answered my calls, calmed me down when I've been upset and cheered me up when I was worried.  And hopefully, visa versa.  I have made life-long friends throughout this ordeal and I will foster for them as long as they'll have me.
Below are more pictures from various friends on Facebook.  I also posted the link of us seeing Lucy for the first time. (Please forgive my ridiculously cheesy reaction.  The only words that would escape my mouth were "it's REALLY her!")

She took a nap on my leg and let us all love on her. Pure bliss :o)
Posing for JP.  I love this face so much!

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    I found your blog posts really interesting and was wondering if you be interested in joining glipho? its a social publishing engine designed for bloggers/writers to further promote their blog posts.Sounds interesting? If yes then you can visit and sign up.

    Happy writing